Sunday, May 20, 2012

Victory Day (the 9th of May)


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Day_(9_May)
The day started off with a parade that I participated in, and had to be “kraseevee” or pretty for.  I met my school and teachers in the bazaar at the end of town where everyone gathers before, yup, parades. The students had blue and yellow balloons (Ukraine’s colors) and the older students were all decked out in military garb. I was also given a sweet orange and black ribbon to wear to commemorate the veterans of the 2nd world war, also known to the Ukrainians as the Great Patriotic War.
                After the parade there was a presentation at our WWII monuments next to the eternal fire. All the veterans of our town were sat in chairs to get the best view and our mayor gave out lots of certificates and presented flowers and such to the veterans. There were performances by the babas singing and my schools dance troupe “Surprise” preformed.  When the ceremonies were over I gave red carnations to some veterans to thank them for their service (as tradition). One woman cried when I did then, and I stayed and talked to her a bit.
I went home afterwards and made dinner with my landlady and helped in the garden. A very good holiday and no one got hurt. 
11th former all dressed up

showing that pride

2 boys that come to English Club

Kids from other schools

Before the parade, me and some of my 11th formers

guarding the eternal fire

local government



Babushka singing group



The vets

One of my premier students

This girl comes to every English club, pain in the butt, but I love her

My little ones in the dance troupe

My tutor's husband all decked out in his gear

No comments:

Post a Comment